Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kapcon 2009

Well, Kapcon 2009 has come and gone and if there's one thing I have to say it is that, once again, it really amazees me the quality of the games, players and GMs that frequent Wellington's premiere RPG convention. Having travelled in the past year to the gaming Mecca that is Gencon Indy, this quality simply stands out even more.

Don't get me wrong - the games I played at Gencon were great fun, they just didn't present the same depth or role-playing challenge that the GMs at Kapcon regularly present, particularly the inestimable Mike Foster. Gencon, of course, more than makes up for this with the activities available outside the games themselves, and somewhere within the hundreds of games being run there must be the equal of those run at Kapcon, but if I want constant quality, a game run in Wellington seems the way to go.

In my next few posts, I will review the games I played.


P.S. Why is it that in every game I play that has one, I *always* seem to get the character with the romantic sub-plot?

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a big indie game fanboy, but the games I enjoyed the most out of the whole weekend where the ones where I didn't roll dice (in one of the games dice were technically there, but I might have only rolled them once)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh - roleplaying game competitions. I remember the Americas Cup at Auckland Uni very fondly. Darryn always gets the romantic subplot? I always knew you were a ladieth man. The spelling is deliberate.

    ReplyDelete