Monday, March 9, 2009

Not that I would ever do anything like that...

If you're looking for an OSX86 distribution to put together a hackintosh, especially if you're doing it (obviously for educational purposes only) on a Dell Optiplex 745, I would recommend the iPC 10.5.6 distribution (PPF 5) which you might find on a place that sounds a bit like the Birate Pay. For the Optiplex 745 I would recommend using the Azalia sound drivers and the Intel ICH* chipset/ATA drivers when installing. I would then recommend searching for NATITX1300 on google and downloading and installing the drivers you would find there, ignoring any errors reported during installation. To avoid kernel panics when mounting Disk Image (dmg) files, I would look at this link.


Not that I have actually done any of the above, of course.


6 comments:

  1. And I didnt actually *understand* any of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you wonder why you get computer failures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny. I thought my computer failures were on Windows machines and consoles by Sony and Microsoft...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and your Mac. remember you having to blow away the OS as recently as late last year!

    Why do people think Macs are so good? If Microsoft both created the hardware as well as the software I'm sure they wouldn't have so may technical issues... of course then we'd have about 6 different computers to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because the OS is much more consistent and usable. The design paradigm of the mac OS is far more elegant and is designed for ease of use. Look at some of the websites that actually discuss this for more info. That's not to say, though, that the MacOS is perfect, there are many things that diverge from the good usability standards that have been set and some bad choices made. Overall, though, it's much better than windows in general use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As to the issue of having to do re-installs - this is *me* we're talking about (see previous post). It must be noted that there are four active OSX installations at my house and four of Windows (including my Brother's, which is not strictly *at* my house). I had to, as you say, perform a System Re-install on *one* of the macs last year. This compares to the *six* I had to perform on the windows PCs in the same time frame.

    ReplyDelete